Sunday, August 2, 2009

Depression & Love

I was talking with a friend last night who told me he was depressed that he was single. This is something that people have been telling me about quite frequently lately. Let me be the first to admit that last year, I was depressed about my single status, but after some time thinking about it, I realized that I was better off figuring out what it is that I want from myself before I try for a relationship blindly.

Anyway, the more I talked with this friend, the more I understood that his main problem is his depression. Sadly, I dont have any advice about getting out of depression as it is a much different process for every person. For me it was a simply change of scenery. The only thing I can say about depression is that, in order to get out of depression, you must first WANT to get out of it. If you want to stay depressed, then dont come to me crying that you are single and no man wants you. First of all, I dont know a man alive who wants to date a "Weeping Belle".

Secondly, I dont want you getting depressed that you cant find true love in a bar. My only rebuttle to that is "No Duh!!" Bar relationships are much the same as goldfish. Very few can live a few months but most of them die within a week.

Anyway, back to the more important issue. If you cant love yourself and love life in general, then how can you expect someone else to love you? This is a hard lesson to learn and accept, but it is the most true. Just remember that there is a sliver lining in all things. If anyone happens upon this and would like help finding their silver lining, just send me a message. I check my e-mails daily and I have quite a bit of experience doing such. It is how I went from sad, lonely and depressed to having lots of men and loving every minute of every day.

No comments: